To communicate effectively with suppliers and customers in today's competitive business environment, your small business employees need ready access to information, updated in real time. They also need to stay connected to one another and to the business applications they use to do their jobs. With the right solution, your business can collaborate and solve problems more effectively.
Cisco Smart CallConnector applications deliver productivity improvements by providing quick and easy access to unified communications from a desktop PC with Cisco IP phone integration.
The Cisco® Smart CallConnector Advanced Client is designed to streamline business communications by providing employees with real-time information about the availability of their contacts and offering multiple methods for communicating with them. The solution lets employees know who is available and the best method for connecting with them. With the Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced Client, you can:
• Quickly locate and connect with colleagues using voice, instant messaging (IM), text messages (Short Message Service [SMS]), or email
• Know who is calling and click to answer or make calls and access phone features from a PC
• Get alerts when contacts are available and for new voice messages
• View voice messages, click to listen to the important ones first, and reply or call back
• Send instant messages, text messages, and email to colleagues and external contacts
• Use the Cisco Smart CallConnector toolbar in Outlook to locate contacts, manage calls, and send instant messages
Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced is a desktop smart communications application that integrates the contact data in your PC applications with the features of your Cisco Smart Business Communications System. As a client-server solution that is easy to deploy, configure, and use, this application offers integrated access to call handling, visual voicemail, presence and telephone status, federated instant messaging, and integration with Outlook and other Windows applications. Figure 1 shows the Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced directory windows in two custom views.
Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced requires the Cisco Smart CallConnector Server. The server maintains the connections to the services of the Cisco Smart Business Communications System and to the user's configuration data. It makes these services available to all Cisco Smart CallConnector clients, including the Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced Client. The server includes a license for eight Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced Clients. For larger deployments, additional Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced licenses can be purchased in eight-user increments.
The Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced directory displays a list of names with integrated click-to-IM, click-to-call, and click-to-send services from any one of several contact directories. You can view and quickly locate contacts and call or send messages (through IM, text message, or email). Graphical icons display the telephone status (idle, ringing, or connected) as well as availability (available, busy, or away) and current location (work, home, traveling, or vacation) for contacts for whom this information is available. The powerful search option allows you to locate contacts simply by entering the first few letters of any visible information about that contact - such as first or last name, department, or phone number. Table 1 lists some of the features supported by the Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced directory.
The call window displays all the active calls, with the callers' names read from the directories. You can click a contact, auto-dial from Outlook, or drag and drop a number to make or transfer a call or set up a conference call. The phone features are available from the context-sensitive toolbar. Popup windows provide notification and caller information for your calls. In the call window, you can:
• View a list of all the current calls on your phone
• Make or answer calls, and dial from the keypad window
• Access the advanced phone features to transfer, conference, park, pick up, or page calls
• Drag and drop numbers from other applications to make calls
With the Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced Client, you can view presence status and send instant messages to your colleagues at work and to external contacts on compatible IM servers (Figure 2). Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced provides administrator-controlled access to instant messaging and presence federation with compatible Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) IM servers, such as Google Talk and Facebook. When your external account is added to the Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced Client, it downloads your contact lists, allowing you to view your contacts' presence status and click and send instant messages. You can also make your personal availability known.
While instant messaging, you can:
• View the status of your IM contacts and see when they are typing
• Send emoticons and change the font size, color, and type
• Send documents and files instantly to your contact
• Add additional parties to create a multiperson chat session
• Escalate an IM session to a voice call
• View the recent calls, IM sessions, and email messages exchanged with this party
The Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced Client displays a popup alert message on your PC screen when you have new voice messages. You can view all the new and saved voice messages, play them in any order, and call back or send an instant message or email. You can also download and forward voice messages by email.
The Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced Client allows you to change your greeting manually or have it change automatically when your availability status changes.
From the VoiceView window (Figure 3), you can:
• View the number of messages waiting and the voice message popup notification
• View the new and saved voice messages in the Cisco Unity® Express mailbox
• Play, pause, rewind, move forward, and delete voice messages
• View the caller's name and presence status (if available)
• Change the voice message greeting
The Cisco Smart CallConnector Advanced Client provides a toolbar and a context (right-click) menu in Outlook to allow you to access all your communications services directly from within Outlook (Figure 4). You can locate contacts, manage calls, and send instant messages without leaving Outlook. In addition, you can synchronize your availability to the Outlook calendar so that your status is updated based on your Outlook calendar setting. With Outlook integration, you can:
• Right-click on an Outlook contact and auto-dial to make calls
• Use the toolbar to locate contacts from any directory
• Manage calls from the toolbar in Outlook without having to switch applications
• Update your availability status and location from pull-down menus
• Highlight and drag and drop any number to the call window
All of your call histories and instant messages are archived on the Cisco Smart CallConnector Server and are available for viewing in the log window. From this window, you can:
• View the incoming, missed, and outgoing calls made from your phone
• Search and locate calls in the call list
• View all the IM sessions
• Click to view the details of messages sent during a session
• Call back or send instant messages from the log entries